Ascentis Arrangements for Vocational Qualifications in 2020-21
For Ofqual, CCEA & Qualifications Wales Regulated Provision:
On Wednesday 24th March 2021, Ofqual published the ‘VTQ Contingency Regulatory Framework (VCRF).’ . This new framework replaces the Extended Extraordinary Regulatory Framework (EERF).
The regulators have confirmed that qualification assessments, including those on-demand, modular assessments for qualifications such as ESOL, English and maths should continue where possible, with or without permitted adaptations, subject to public health guidance and in line with the requirements of the qualification.
For certain qualifications, the VCRF will permit awarding organisations to issue results on the basis of teachers’ judgements of learners’ performance, to be referred to as Teacher Assessed Grades (TAG) when assessments do not take place and/or when learners cannot complete all internal assessment as a result of the disruption caused by the pandemic. As part of the VCRF, Ascentis qualifications have been categorised into one of the following:
- Category A qualifications: are those which offer a licence to practise and which confirm occupational competence. Assessments will continue where they are critical to demonstrate occupational or professional competence, proficiency or act as a licence to practise, and can be delivered in line with public health measures. Where the assessment cannot take place safely, it will be delayed. These qualifications will not be eligible for Teacher Assessed Grades (TAG).
- Category B qualifications: are those which are important for progression to further or higher study or into employment, where the issue of results should be prioritised. Learners taking Category B qualifications may be eligible for alternative arrangements under the new framework, which could include teacher assessment grades (TAGs). Results may be awarded for these qualifications where not all assessments have taken place as a direct result of the disruption caused by the pandemic.
To find out how a specific Ascentis qualification will be awarded this year, learners and centres can visit the Ofqual online 2021 Qualifications Explainer Tool.
Ascentis guidance for Centres on the Vocational and Technical Qualifications Contingency Regulatory Framework (VCRF):
Please see the below guidance document and associated forms which include an explanation, eligibility and the process for Ascentis qualifications as part of the Vocational and Technical Qualifications Contingency Regulatory Framework (VCRF).
- Ascentis Guidance: Vocational Qualifications Planning Alternative Arrangements (VCRF)
- Centre Application for using Teacher Assessed Grades
- Alternative Arrangements Learner Assessment Record & Internal Quality Assurance Declaration
- Ascentis Guidance: ESOL Skills for Life Award and Certificates under the Vocational Contingency Regulatory Framework (VCRF) in 2021
Ascentis permitted adaptations (1st August 2020-31st August 2021):
Ascentis have implemented adaptations to some qualifications to support with the impact of disruption to teaching, learning and assessment, and any ongoing disruption to or restrictions on the delivery of assessments, through the adaptation of qualifications and assessments.
Ascentis have identified some qualifications where adaptations will be permitted in 2020-21. This will apply to the following Ascentis qualifications only:
- ESOL Skills for Life (updated March 2021)
- English & Mathematics Skills (updated March 2021)
- Education & Training
- Community Interpreting (Ascentis Level 3 Certificate in Community Interpreting 600/2872/5)
- Short Online Qualifications (SOQs) (This also includes Principles of Health and Safety (Unit K/504/1368) and Level 3 Award and Certificate in Managing Property and Residential Lettings (603/5156/1 and 603/5157/3)
- Construction (only Principles of Health and Safety Unit K/504/1368)
Please click on the qualifications above to find out more information on the adaptations which are permitted by Ascentis.
These adaptations are in place for learners who are/were expected to sit assessments between 1st August 2020 and the 31st August 2021.
Where an adaptation is not clearly specified for a qualification, these must be delivered, assessed and internally verified in line with the normal requirements of the qualification specification and no adaptation should be made that compromises these standards.
If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the Quality Assurance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Access to HE Qualifications
The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) have published the arrangements for Access to HE qualifications in 2020-21. Ascentis have communicated with Centre Coordinators regarding the outcome of the QAA consultation and arrangements for 2020-21. Please initially discuss with your Centre Coordinator if you have any questions. Your centres allocated Ascentis Quality Assurance Manager will be able to support you with any queries you may have throughout this academic year.
Ascentis has a range of useful subject-specific resources to support all aspects of the delivery of our qualifications. For example, our brand new ESOL Skills for Life Handbook and Community Interpreting Centre Guidance. These documents and others are located in the Login Area of the Ascentis Website.
All EQA activity will be completed remotely until further notice. Your allocated Centre Quality Reviewer and External Quality Assurer(s) should have been in contact to discuss arrangements for 2020-21. If you require further information on EQA activity, please contact email@example.com
Contact Information and Support
Our Customer Support Team will continue to support you in 2020-21, our main contact number is 01524 845046 or alternatively please email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to get in touch with one of our teams, you can contact them directly on the following emails:
- Ofqual, CCEA & Qualifications Wales Quality Assurance Team - QualityAssurance@ascentis.co.uk
- Access to HE Quality Assurance Team - email@example.com
- Operations Registration, Verification and Certification Team – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Operations Events Team – email@example.com
- Operations Exams Team - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finance Team - Finance@ascentis.co.uk
- IT Team – email@example.com
- Development Team – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commercial Team – email@example.com
Staff will continue to respond to their emails; this will be the preferred method of communication.
If circumstances occur which may further impact your learners please ensure that you inform us immediately so that we are better able to support you.
Centres have the option to receive e-Certificates only or hard copy certificates and e-Certificates.
Due to the national lockdown, all our staff are working remotely at the moment therefore the production of hard copy certificates has been paused. E-Certificates are available to download once results have been processed.
If you have any questions regarding certificates then please email the Registration, Verification and Certification Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the meantime if you have any questions, please get in touch with your usual contact here at Ascentis or contact us at email@example.com